I am Elder Brett Moore, an LDS Missionary serving in the Japan Tokyo Mission from September 2015 - September 2017. I can be emailed while on the mission at: brett.moore@myldsmail.net

Elder Brett Moore

Elder Brett Moore

Sunday, December 6, 2015

Week 10- 12/6/15 My Nose is a Shinkansen

HOWS IT GOING EVERYONE??

In case you're wondering about the weird title, I'll explain it in a bit.

My companion's family lives in the Tokyo south mission. He's on his 15th transfer and leaves after the next one. I'm his last companion. This week we worked HARD. But as you'll read just look where it got us. We went from one progressing investigator, to 2 progressing, one possible, and several referrals, also some goodies from the ward (who are awesome by the way. They love us.) 


So some pretty cool things happened this week. Literally right after
emailing all of you, miracles starting happening. I'll start with the
focus of this week.

So, we were calling through our area book trying to set up
appointments because we only have like one progressing investigator,
and he had to cancel our lesson because he got sick (which actually a
blessing). So we called a prior investigator named Nao. He's a cool
guy and speaks decent English so I can actually understand when we
talk. We called him up, and he pretty much immediately hung up saying
"no no I'm busy." We figured oh well time for bed and moved on.

Literally the next day, during companionship study when we were
planning lessons, our phone rang. It was Nao. He apologized for last
night and wanted to meet us for dinner. He knew a good spaghetti place
that was pretty cheap. So of course, we met with him. Over the course
of dinner, we're just talking to get to know each other (since I'm
new) and we get to the topic of religion. That's when the miracle
really made itself clear to us. He said lately he suddenly started
having interest in Jesus Christ and Christianity, and what happens
after we die. Well buddy we got the book that explains it all. With
speed faster than a gazelle I whip out my モルモン書 (Japanese BoM) and
start sharing scriptures. We ended talking about e entire timeline of
the BoM, Joseph Smith, the Restoration, translation, resurrection, and
the after life. He accepted the book and we set up normal teaching
times to teach English and doctrine. But it doesn't stop here. He
calls us the next day, saying "I want to watch Meet the Mormons, 3
times, and maybe invite friends. Dude we can hook you up. After
watching it he first time, he said he really liked it, especially the
missionary story. GOD WILL MULTIPLY OUR WORK, IF WE WORK HARD.
This week has been great. During 英会話 (English class) one of my
students asked me for a scripture he can share with his friends to
wish them Merry Christmas. He's not a member so I whipped out John
3:16 (look it up) and read it to him. He thanked me, opened his bag,
and pulled out a piece of paper. He gives it to me and says, "I like
to draw things. You are a good English teacher so I drew this for
you." I was so touched. I wanted to hug him.

The miracles don't stop everybody! Last night, we visited a member
named Brother Kamacho. After introducing myself (I do that a lot) we
were talking about the Nao miracle. He then gave us a referral for
someone who goes to the religion college across the street from our
apartment (we go there a lot). We contacted that referral and set up
an appointment on Wednesday AND Sunday.

Oh and by the way, I was so focused on the miracles I forgot to tell
you why my nose is a Shinkansen. During English class, we usually play
a game after. One of the lady's brought her three year old son, who
was hilarious. He looks at me, everybody goes quiet, and says "ojiisan
no hana wa Shinkansen mitai na." Which is "that old guys nose looks
like a Shinkansen." Probably the highlight of the week.

Things are hot in Okegawa. Loving the work and I hope you all found
joy in this email. Thank you for tuning in, this is Elder Moore
signing off.
Picture 1: the drawing
Picture 2: the YSA and Okegawa Elders and Brother Kakiki's house
Picture 3: McDonald's
Picture 4: just a look at us streeting




モア長老

No comments:

Post a Comment