I am Elder Brett Moore, an LDS Missionary serving in the Japan Tokyo Mission from September 2015 - September 2017. I can be emailed while on the mission at: brett.moore@myldsmail.net

Elder Brett Moore

Elder Brett Moore

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Week 82- 4/24/17 The Book of BOARDmon

Well howdy pardners!
It's another wonderful spring day here in Oyama. We had a lot to do this week so I'll walk all of y'all through it.

On Monday, we received a call from our bishop that he wants to make a giant Book of Mormon display and he wants our help. We go and get some wood supplies and paint and that was pretty much the biggest stressed of the week. It took so much time to do. But it was pretty fun. 

Tuesday was spent biking out and finding friends who just haven't been to church in a good 15-20 years. Nobody really wanted to talk but it was a beautiful day and such. We pretty much walked across the entire city of Tochigi, so you can look that up on a map. But then it rained way hard at night and our English students got absolutely drenched. Such devotion!

Wednesday was spent still working on our big ol Book of Mormon. We primed it but it turns out we didn't have enough primer so we went to the store and figured out the primer we used is all wrong so we bought primer and sand paper. That was a good portion of my day but we did have a sizable Eikaiwa attendance. We ran several classes and more people showed up than before!

On Thursday we had a conference with Elder Choi of the Seventy down in Urawa. I haven't been to that church in over a year so it was nice returning to my first zone. Haven't been back there since I left Okegawa. Anyways, Elder Choi spoke in this last General Conference (he was also wearing our missions tie during conference) and it was pretty good. That pretty much lasted all day and when we got home we continued to work on our project which we dubbed the Book of Boardmon. My hands are still blue from all the paint.

Friday was also still working on the board. We had to do another coat. Saturday was insane because we had to finish painting the letters. We drew and cut out a Stencil but the paint messed up so we had to do a ton of touch up work by five o'clock. We had a lesson at three and a lunch appointment so we really just had about two hours to paint quickly. After that we brought over to the church and had an open house for ward conference which was the next day. Everybody got to dress up like Nephites and we had a good time. I'll attach pictures. 

Usually you only serve as a District Leader for 2 transfers at a time.
So now that I've been a DL I can either move up and be a Zone leader
if needed or continue to somewhere else and be the DL again. I'm kind
of hoping to train again though. One of my trainees is a Zone Leader
and the others are trainers. Pretty insane how my influence spreads.
I'm in an area that usually is not a Leader area because we're so busy
so we took everybody by surprise. They took out all the leaders here
and put me with a more experienced elder again because this area just
needs experience. My companion is an ex zone Leader so we come up with
a ton of ideas and it's going pretty well.

I have exactly 4 months left on my mission. It's pretty crazy how fast
time has flown. I've pretty much become the designated English
translator in our ward and I had to translate a double lung operation
during ward conference. That was hard. Especially if you don't know
the word for lung for half the talk!

One thing I've learned on my mission is that there's really no such
thing as luck. Miracles happen so much in the field that they become
happenstance. Now I understand why the Nephites in 3rd Nephi don't
care about miracles because you just get used to them. Always treasure
those experiences. Miracles strengthen those with faith, not the
faithless.


That's pretty much what happened with us. I hope everybody's week was okay! Have a good week!

 
Book of Mormon stories that we can teach you

This is omoizakura. They bloom later and they're only in Oyama.

Eikaiwa

No comments:

Post a Comment