I am Elder Brett Moore, an LDS Missionary serving in the Japan Tokyo Mission from September 2015 - September 2017. I can be emailed while on the mission at: brett.moore@myldsmail.net

Elder Brett Moore

Elder Brett Moore

Thursday, March 24, 2016

Week 25- 3/21/16 I have no witty name for this email

Oh yes, it's that time of the week again. However this next week is
very special. I hit my 1/4 mark this Wednesday! It's tradition for
missionaries to burn something but I don't think I'll do that because
I'm in Japan, and don't really have room to burn things. I'd rather
not ruin our new apartment as well.
The weather this week has been kind of weird. It's been in the high
50's but it'll rain for hours and hours on end. Or it'll be extremely
windy. I don't know what's worse, biking into 20mph winds all day, or
being buffeted by 20mph winds from all directions all day. The thing
about the wind here is it doesn't just go in one line like in America.
It comes from everywhere. At once.
So we did a lot of teaching this week. The members are a little mad at
us but there are more that think we're amazing so that's okay. I don't
think they understand that as missionaries, we will be bringing new
people to church, and these people will not understand our culture or
rules until it is explained to them. I don't really like going to ward
council, especially big ones because it pretty much turns into a "this
is how you should do missionary work" lecture towards the
missionaries. Yesterday was a pretty big deal apparently. A bunch of
stake representatives came down and there was a big meeting.
But we do have some progress to update on. Our teaching is going well.
This is the last week of the transfer so we're trying to set up a
whole bunch of appointments or teaching things before anybody leaves.
Next week I will learn my fate about whether I stay in Okegawa or
finally transfer. Honestly I kind of want to leave. I'm the most
likely to be transferred so it may well happen.
Our friend Noda is progressing very well. It's definitely a different
experience teaching someone with a Christian background. We don't have
to do much explaining. He doesn't even bible bash. He'll read
something from his bible and we'll match it and explain it and he'll
be like "oooooooohhhhhhhhh." He really likes the book of revelations,
so we spent a lot of time there last lesson. The only problem is the
language barrier. He speaks Japanese but it's a little hard to
understand because of his Spanish accent. He's Peruvian and speaks
Spanish. Luckily, we have an entire family in the ward from Peru, who
speak perfect Japanese and Spanish.
Koda is also doing very well. We had a lesson on a bunch of the
commandments the other day and he took them all very well. Our main
focus is now helping him to have a testimony of the Book of Mormon,
because once that happens, he will be baptized.
I ate a bunch of good food this week (for cheap too!). We found a
kara-age tabehodai which for you gaijin is translated as "all you can
eat fried chicken" for about 8 bucks. We also found a roast beef shop,
where you can get a massive bowl of roast beef on rice for 8 bucks as
well. The put a raw egg yolk on top though. It's actually pretty
tasty. I've eaten so many raw eggs since getting here. This week,
we're hitting up a hottokeeki tabehodai, which is all you can eat
pancakes since Elder Alder has one more week till he goes home. I'll
update you all next week, when I will be a transfer 4 missionary and
probably going to a new place!


モア長老



No comments:

Post a Comment