I am Elder Brett Moore, an LDS Missionary serving in the Japan Tokyo Mission from September 2015 - September 2017. I can be emailed while on the mission at: brett.moore@myldsmail.net

Elder Brett Moore

Elder Brett Moore

Monday, March 28, 2016

Week 26- 3/28/16 Bonkers

What's up 皆さん! Yes today was transfer calls but before I tell you
that, I'm going to wish you all a Happy Easter! Easter here was nice,
although there wasn't anything Easter related in church today. Kind of
a bummer. I actually really enjoyed this Easter though. I spent a lot
of time studying Christ this transfer, so it's really opened my
perspective.

I guess you're all waiting on the news. I am being transferred! My
next area is Urayasu is Tokyo! My new companion is Elder Masterson.
This will be my first non Japanese companion.

This past week was a bit crazy. First of all it was my one fourth
mark! I didn't burn anything because I'm in Japan and literally two
inches from our neighbors, but we did go out to Indian Curry, because
I've been saving coupons to my favorite shop. Last Monday we ate with
Kato. He made tako okonomiyaki, which is a pancake with cabbage,
onions, octopus, and some tuna. You put mayonnaise and Takoyaki sauce
on it. Then you sprinkle on ground seaweed and shredded fish fins. It
was very good, and easy to make!
I went on a lot of splits this last week. First with Elder Alder, the
district leader. We biked around a ton and hit up all the ekis
(stations) on the Takasaki line, which leads to our house. He could
only pass out cards to old ladies so that was pretty funny. We also
went out to kappa sushi, which was really natsukashii (missed). I took
a video, which I will send in a different email, of the sushi train.
I also went on splits with Elder Broberg, one of the zone leaders.
That was a really good day. We went to Ōmiya eki and walked around the
entrance for like 2 hours, but because it's one of the busiest ekis in
the world, and the busiest in Saitama, we had a ton of contacts. On
the way to head back however, an American interrupted us talking to
some high school kids. At first I thought he was a member, because he
greeted us with an enthusiastic "Elders!" My opinion of him changed
when he said "How's your salvation?" And it just got worse. He was
absolutely, totally, 100% crazy. You know those conspiracy theorists
who find God? Well that was him. He was also kind of aggressive, and
Elder Broberg and I were getting pretty weirded out. He accused us of
being cultists, Nazis, and we only baptize people so we can make them
sad and control their lives because organized religion is like an
army, and armies only bring sadness and death. He also had a crushing
handshake. Personally I think he was trying to convert us, because he
was telling us how to do our job, but I was so scared I was ready to
throat punch him and run. To make it worse, the other Elders were
watching this happen, didn't help, and took a picture. The guy was
like getting in our faces, saying how we're cultist soldiers, saying
everybody in the area was going to "die in seven years" because we
were standing in "one of the highest radioactive areas since
Hiroshima." I can't put everything he said into words, because it was
so confusing, fast, or vulgar. You meet some crazy, and I mean crazy
people on your mission.


Spring is finally hitting here. The cherry
blossoms should bloom either this week or next week. I'm pretty
excited.


Well that's pretty much everything interesting that happened. On
Saturday we had a Takoyaki party. When I get home I'm buying a
Takoyaki grill. I love Takoyaki. And on Sunday we went to a members
house for dinner. We had soft tacos and they were amazing. Then we ate
cheesecake! It was like a little taste of outside of Japan. I've eaten
so much rice it's crazy.
Thanks for tuning in everybody! Love you all!
Picture one- Indian curry
Picture 2- my favorite snack. Tamago pan is a slice of bread with a
semi raw egg, cheese, salt and pepper, toasted.
Picture 3- Eikaiwa party

Picture 4- biking to dinner last night





No comments:

Post a Comment